Tuesday, February 19, 2019

xcSkiing in Gatineau Park & Old Quarry Trail

I usually ski in Gatineau Park and Old Quarry Trail in Ottawa Green Belt (Skate & Classic).  Xc skiing is fun.  For a beginner of skate skiing, with the advice of Gatineau ski patrol, the first thing to learn is the offset ski climb hills.  After a few hours practice, I could move my weight to one foot, while stretch the other foot naturally.   The most important improvement on this step for me is balancing.  Many thanks to Jack and the xcSkiing group for the suggestion of  YouTube info and encouragement.  Combined with other technic, I was able to reach 13.4 km/1h36m with almost two months of practicing from the end of December 2018 to the beginning of February 2019.

I am happy with the continuous skiing skill improvement over the last two months.   With strength gained through skate skiing practice,  my classic skiing has improved at the same time.  The downhill skiing is also significantly improved, resulting with better control on the Black Diamond trails.

I prefer classes even tough I self practice mostly .  I use Strava to encourage and motivate myself to go outdoor and skiing!

My health benefits are from xc skiing, with steonger heart, more body weight control and being active every day.



1 comment:

  1. I also improved my downhill skiing after skating for a while, entering positive feedback loop.

    ReplyDelete